The AAUW Medford Branch Scholarship Committee will award our $1,000 Annual Scholarship for a non-traditional female college student in May 2017. The scholarship is intended to help ease the burden of college expenses for the recipient.
To be eligible, the applicant must:
- Be a resident of Burlington County, NJ.
- Be a non-traditional female student enrolled in an undergraduate degree program. A non-traditional student might be someone whose family obligations required an interruption of several years prior to resuming a college program, or someone who waited until later in life to start college. High school graduates proceeding directly to college are ineligible for this scholarship.
- Be a matriculated student in a degree program and must be taking at least one credit-bearing course per semester at an accredited community college, four-year college, or university.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 if already enrolled in college.
- Complete and sign the application form.
- Submit a typed, double-spaced essay of approximately 500 words, (question 24 on application form). In your essay, please address the following:
- Describe your quest for a college education and how it has taken a non-traditional route.
- Describe your particular financial situation and need (you do not need to submit a FAFSA form, just describe your/your family’s situation).
- Include how this scholarship will help you achieve your goals.
- Provide your most recent official school transcript regardless of the age of the transcript(s).
- Provide a completed recommendation form AND a recent letter of recommendation from a professional (employer, professor, etc.) who can speak to your character, qualities, and career aspirations. The letter must be typed, signed and dated and include the name, title, address, phone number, and the relationship to the applicant of the person making the recommendation. (This is a very important part of the application since it will give the AAUW committee a clear sense of your character and resolve.)
- Send the application and other documents in a single package post-marked on or before March 31, 2017 to the address on the application form.